IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens filter question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
Morro Bay Weather
Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Lens filter question Reply with quote

Not exactly related to IP cams, but Vititar make a lens filter kit for 58mm lenses. Do these just slip over the front of your existing lens or are they threaded? My lens has no threads on the front. What's the norm, anyone know?

http://www.staples.com/Vivitar-FK-58U-Universal-58mm-5-Piece-Filter-Set/product_861244#revs_content

Called Staples but the guy couldn't tell because of the way they are packaged.
Pete_
Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically filters are threaded and screw into the front of the lens.
Morro Bay Weather
Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, kinda what I thought the norm was, been so long. Problem is my 58mm zoom lens on my M1011 has no threads on it? I suppose the slip on can be bought though? My lens cover is just a slip on type over the lens.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick suggestion: throw away what you have and get a good camera. From what I've seen you say you've wasted, in time and money, here already, you coould have had a V-8.

First, put down your requirements on paper, then find something that works with those. And don't believe everything you read, which I think is how you got where you are now. It's as if every step you've taken was a bad one.

I'm surprised at those here who have let you get this far down the wrong track. It's sort of funny, true, but now, with this (scotch-tape a filter on a glued-on, put-over-lens lens?), it's as if you're on some prank game show.

Well, okay, I got a good laugh out of it. Carry on if you don't care; I will say no more.
Morro Bay Weather
Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40th Floor... works for me. Does what I want and didn't do it for you. You know nothing of my situation yet ready and eager to judge. Save it for someone who cares as I don't. Wink I surely wouldn't accept advice or criticism from someone who equates ones efforts/actions to a prank game show. Others here have been very helpful and I thank them.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the M1011 works fine for this situation. I use one myself for the same reason, not for a weather site, but for me to evaluate conditions at our summer home, like fog, snow, rain, etc.

Besides, hacking the camera is the fun part.
Morro Bay Weather
Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle actually the little "hack" was fun, inexpensive and produced results that were acceptable for me. Given my situation being steered to the M1011 was a great thing for me. I'm thankful for the help you, John and a couple others offered. Just needing a decent/acceptable fixed view it worked out fine. I may not win any cinematography awards but it worked out OK. I've received many compliments from the weather site. If I'm ever in a situation to upgrade I will and will definitely seek input first, but for now it serves it's purpose. My "amazing" SKyCam now sits inside looking at my entry way. Was better than throwing it away Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed