IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to this

eldaeb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: New to this Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm trying to get my head around IP cameras for work, and a bit of personal interest too Wink I'm looking for reccomendations - more for the second part than the first.

I work for a charity, and I'm looking at outfitting a small office with multiple purposes, and I've got partway through my investigations. We are looking at about 8 general cameras for security and awareness of who is in the office - my boss wants them to be able to be streamed effectively but still secure. I'm actually looking at 4 Channel DVR4-2500 & 4 x PRO 555 Cameras - Security Recorder Kit with Internet Viewing & 3G iPhone Connectivity as the special helps the budget and I like the common point of security. That choice has to be made soon (today) but please say if you think that's a stupid idea (and why). Related, much of the wiring has been done with plans for IP cameras - though the above package does streaming the cameras themselves aren't IP - but I'm told I can run them through the cat5 cables with the right connectors. I haven't tried that before - any caveats/good/bad experiences?

More importantly

I'm also looking for two higher quality cameras without blowing the budget. One to suit training needs in the training room, just a basic good quality camera to show the training room (good enough quality picture and audio for recording preferably). Then the big one, one to fit a wide hall, that can zoom back to see the hall, then in to see the speaker. It should be good enough quality (for recording and presentations preferably) so I'm definitely looking for good optical zoom.

Any ideas? Any serious flaws in my plans? Anyone who'se had good experience setting up something simmilar? Especially for a charity Wink
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most, if not all people on this forum are IP camera folks, so not much help here for analog cameras as you are looking at. Generally, Chinese junk is well, junk, doesn't matter if it's IP cameras or the Costco special 4 camera CCTV system for $299. A decent analog system will still be cheaper than a decent IP camera setup but not as cheap as you think. For example, decent Sony analog domes are still going to cost you $300 each (avoid anything that says Sony CCD, it's just a scam, the camera has to say Sony on the outside to be real Sony). Then a decent 8 channel DVR, like a Samsung commercial unit is going to start $2,000.

As for wiring, they have gizmo's that convert coax to cat5 and back, but again, that adds to the cost. Also, analog cameras are prone to interferance, I would only have a pro install it. They look OK at Costco because the coax is like 2' long, trying getting the same image with a 100' coax.

Then in the end, no matter how good the analog camera is, well, it's still analog and at best it's going to be equivalent to a VGA camera (640x480 or 0.3 MP). They do make some that are slightly bettter, but reality is, the DVR's are limited to VGA.

So what are the advantages of IP cameras vs analog. The biggest advantage is megapixel camera or some call HD. The world of video has gone HD. If you buy a cheap $99 camcorder it is HD, most cell phones record HD video, most pocket digital camera record HD video and most TV's are HD. Why would you want to invest in technology that is obsolete, last century?

Decent IP cameras that are 1 MP and up start at about $200 each and go up to thousands. Depends on what you want to do and what's your budget. A good interior dome camera can cost you from about $350 and up. Add in IR lighting for night vision and the price pops up another $100.

The equivalent of a DVR for IP cameras is an NVR. You can buy one of those but usually they are limited in the same way as DVR where you buy an 8 channel system, what do you do when you buy a 9th camera? Buy a 16 channel system and you've paid for extra capacity you may never use. But with IP you also have the choice of using NVR software on a PC. So if you have a spare PC, many times you can use the camera companies NVR software for free, so there's opportunities to save money here and invest it in the cameras instead.
adam718

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Introductions Reply with quote

Here is an article on selecting analog and IP cameras that may provide some help and knowledge: http://www.deskshare.com/resources/articles/wcm_SecurityCamera.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed