IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some expert advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
guru234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Some expert advice Reply with quote

Ok so I am planning to set up a security system using some wireless ip webcams. Each has pan/tilt capablites and nightvision and some other features but I have some questions:

1. Can I set up these webcams without internet? Using say an adhoc type server or even buying a router but not having an actual internet connection. If so how?

2. How do I make sure that everything is secured as far as the network connections?

3. I am going to be using it with the vitamin D security system program and I want to know, if I have more than one webcam on a computer, will it show up on my computers driver list so that I can select each camera and use it?

4. The webcam is labeled as wireless but yet it includes a power adapter. Im guessing this is used to power the webcam if it is away from the laptop?

Thanks in advance!
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Can I set up these webcams without internet? Using say an adhoc type server or even buying a router but not having an actual internet connection. If so how?

Internet not required unless you want view the cameras remotely.

2. How do I make sure that everything is secured as far as the network connections?

You can use WPA encryption if you are using WiFi.

3. I am going to be using it with the vitamin D security system program and I want to know, if I have more than one webcam on a computer, will it show up on my computers driver list so that I can select each camera and use it?

IP cameras are computers, they will not show up on anything, they have zero to do with your PC.

4. The webcam is labeled as wireless but yet it includes a power adapter. Im guessing this is used to power the webcam if it is away from the laptop?

Seriously, did you think wireless meant no wires? There is one brand, don't remember the name that uses batteries. This is the one reason I hate WiFi cameras, they require you plug in the brick into 110V. PoE is the way to go.
guru234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Ok so for the internet thing, the program am I using (called vitamind) lets me enter the ip adress of the webcam so can I use it with the program. I am going to view it on the same computer except in not going to use the software that came with the program, i am going to use the vitamd software. So now I want to know, when I get the camera if I have no internet connection and I just connect it wirelessly, will it give me the adress to use?

And the IP camera im getting shows up on computers. It even comes with a software
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment of Question #4 as stated :
"4. The webcam is labeled as wireless but yet it includes a power adapter. Im guessing this is used to power the webcam if it is away from the laptop?

Seriously, did you think wireless meant no wires? There is one brand, don't remember the name that uses batteries. This is the one reason I hate WiFi cameras, they require you plug in the brick into 110V. PoE is the way to go"

It is true that wirless IP cams do require power voltage of some sort be it 120 vac, DC, solar fedd or whatever.

In my opinion, one should not hate wireless. On my property, I have several garages and an outbuilding seperated from the main house by 50 feet to 180 feet where my router and network is located. All garages and outbuilding have 120vac so it is very convient to plug in a wireless camera into 120 vac on a short power cord, but not worry about running many feet of CAT5E back to the house.

Over the past several years I phased out ALL my wireless cameras for megapixel PoE cameras and ran CAT5E to the garages and outbuilding (It was an effort of digging trenches). Megapixel cameras are rarely found to be wireless. Maybe some of the no-name brand el-cheapo junko camera from China will advertise wireless 3000 megapixel cameras and promise the world. Buyer beware...

John
New Jersey
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean it "shows up"? Usually they provide software that searches for the camera until you can set a fixed IP address. VitaminD has to support these cameras and their supportted camera list is weak last time I checked.
guru234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera I am getting is supported. My question is when your using an ip camera, once you plug it in and start the software that it comes with will it give you an ip adress to connect to even if you dont have an internet connection. Because my plan is to have 4 ip cams, one computer and the vitamin D software displaying all the camera feeds but with noo internet connection. Is that possible?
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the internet has nothing to do with your cameras or VitaminD software. Just make sure you setup the cameras with fixed IP, most come setup with DHCP.
guru234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks a lot for all the help!
adam718

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion Reply with quote

You may also want to try WebCam Monitor - it is perfect for first time users. The wizard walks you through setting up the cameras, motion detection, and configuring broadcasting so we can view everything remotely.
Easy to use and reliable - http://www.deskshare.com/wcm.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed