IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

affordable 2 cam setup for small office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
thawk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: affordable 2 cam setup for small office Reply with quote

I'm a newbie and would really appreciate your input and suggestions.

I'd like to set up 2x security cameras at my office.
no need for ptz cameras.
the cameras can connect via wifi or ethernet, poe is preferable but otherwise there's plenty of power available.

i'd like to:
record off site for 31 days
be able to sort through recordings by time or event.
view footage through browser or smart phone

as it's an office, there'll be a lot of motion in the course of a day, so i don't want to be receiving alerts every time someone moves from their desks.
the footage would only be used to review if some of our equipment went missing or if there was un-authorised access.

i have broadband with a static ip.
i have various cloud storage options in use already, Amazon S3, dropbox, idisk- can i utilise any of those to store footage rather than paying the excessive monthly fees that make most systems not practically affordable for a small business?
if i did that then how complicated would it be to review footage?
ideally i'd like not to spend more than $300 for this system.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the AVTech review on my blog. The'll run about $200 each and then you get microSD cards, I think they have 64GB. It will record on PIR motion detect to the SD card, up to 1.3MP resolution, allow you to view the cameras and past recordings via their smartphone apps (IOS and Android). They are ethernet but not PoE but come with the power supplies.
thawk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, your blog makes for interesting reading and the Axis looks like a great system.
This system from Swann looks like an affordable solution:
http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1160

BUT...the biggest issue i have is that if an intruder takes the dvr then everything is lost.
Do you know of any systems like this that allow me to ftp the footage offsite?
I have a busy office so alerts wouldn't be practical, more so the need to review footage after an event, and to make sure that footage is not easy to access.
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many cameras allow FTP, but some have capabilities for SD cards for recording events as well. So, if they take the DVR, the camera will have the event captured on the SD card too. I think it is highly unlikely both the DVR and cameras will be stolen at the same time. One more thing, if i ws going. Rob a house and seen cameras I'd cut the cable and phone lines first so FTP will be useless once the network is disabled.

John
New jersey
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swann and Lorex are the types of cameras they sell at Costco. They are analog. The cameras in an analog system are cheap and dumb, just sends video out through a coax cable to a DVR.

The DVR has the logic to record and such and some models allow you to connect externally via in the internet. Typically analog cameras are much cheaper than IP cameras. You can buy analog cameras on ebay starting at $10.

Here's Costco's deal, $299 for 3 cameras and an 8 channel dvr, internet connect. You can't beat analog for price and for some, this is good enough. A friend has these in his restaurants and they are very happy with it.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11646071&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory
WilsonJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you consider IP cameras and NVR then the $300 budget is a bit tight. For cameras I would probably use the low end ACTi cameras and for NVR I would use a Qnap 4ch stand alone NVR such as VS-2004L. This system will have all the features you are looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed