IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACTi TCM-1231 SMTP Setup

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: ACTi TCM-1231 SMTP Setup Reply with quote

I'm setting up a new TCM 1231 IP camera. I have upgraded to the latest firmware and am setting up events using the camera's firmware via Internet Explorer. I'm having trouble getting email notification to work. I've tried a couple different SMTP servers using hostnames and IP addresses and nothing is working. I've tried my local Time Warner SMTP server and I've also tried a web host SMTP server using a username/password. I have tried the message 'Test' button and also a motion detect event. I have tried sending email to different email addresses, but I have not received a single one.

The camera can FTP images and video using a hostname, so DNS seems to be working OK. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #1 problem people have when they setup the TCP/IP settings on their cameras, they neglect the DNS settings and ergo, it can't find the domain name for your SMTP server. Check your PC to get the proper settings You can run the ipconfig /all command and see what your DNS IP address is. You can also try the old standby, 4.2.2.2 or many times the router acts like a DNS by just pointing it to the gateway address.

The other thing that happens is your ISP blocks port 25 unless you use you're ISP's SMTP server. I use GoDaddy's SMTP but they use a different port to send out mail, like 995 or something. See what you using now with your mail program.
Larry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I think DNS is OK. The camera can FTP using a hostname. I tried two different SMTP servers, but I tried them from an email client first to make sure they work. They both use port 25. One of them is my ISP. Maybe I will contact ACTi support.
Larry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution was to use a gmail account and smtp port 587. My other SMTP servers would not work. After switching to gmail, the camera's emails that attached images were bounced by Google because it thought that I was sending spam. But I put the email addresses in my contact list and it is now working.

So I have the camera setup and I'm experimenting with video quality settings and motion detection. I'm trying out the different motion detect profile for night mode due to the extra video noise at night.

The cam is standalone for now. Eventually I'm going to build an NVR PC and start recording.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us the NVR software that's free from ACTi. It's a little complicated at first, but they have great training videos on youtube. What's nice about their software is that the PC that's recording is only doing that, and there's no GUI on that PC so you can use a very small and effecient PC like a nettop or netbook. The GUI is accessed through internet explorer for controlling everything and viewing the recordings or live video so you basically control the NVR from anywhere you have internet access.

Also, they have an iPad/iPhone app for viewing the cameras remotely that is also free.
Larry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACTi software comes in two forms, workstation and enterprise. Is that correct? The enterprise does all the recording work and it has a separate piece for the GUI which can run on either the local PC or a remote PC. The workstation version has everything combined and you must use the local PC. Does that sound right? Do I want the enterprise if I'm going to build a separate PC for recording?
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enterprise version is the software you want. You don't need anything else, just IE browser to control the system. You can install the desktop which is identical to the browser version. You can run the GUI on any PC including the one running the server, but I like to hide the server so that it's not readily noticible by a thief and then view the cameras from my desktop on my desk that they will probably steal Sad

I use a very tiny Zotax Zbox, catch them on sale for like $139 barebones. Add 2GB of memory for $15, 320GB hard drive is $39 (or you can get up to 750GB I believe in the 2 1/2" format). Then you can even view it directly on a TV, no monitor needed using it's built in HDMI out. It has WiFi N for remote connectivity but I would hard wire it to the switch to avoid camera traffic on your PC network. Then get a mouse/keyboard (Lenovo makes a very cool handheld mouse/keyboard remote for stuff like this, I paid $39 shipped on sale last week). The beauty of this setup is the very low power consumption of the Atom processor, maybe 35 watt vs. 140 watts on a full size desktop and it's tiny, even comes with a vesa mount to mount it to the back of a monitor or flat panel TV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Installation All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed