IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on "Night Vision"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
Mogo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Questions on "Night Vision" Reply with quote

I plan to add a second IP camera to my setup (haven't bought first camera yet,) but I wanted to get the Night Vision understanding down now, because I want the second camera to capture night animals around the house and garden ( bears, deer, fox, bobcats).

I see cameras that say they have night vision because they can go down below 1 LUX yet when you look at their screen shots they barely show anything more than shadows.

When I hear night vision I expect the green colored world where you can actually see stuff.

Some cameras advertise special lens for night vision. If you use one of these special lens does it make the camera night vision only?

Are there cameras that can real do both?

Thanks in advance for any information.
ICUSecurity
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When dealing with low light cameras your most effective solution is using IR. It emits a light unseen to the human eye, but gives you light for black and white pictures.

We do have 2 infer-green cameras, they are both military grade. We provide them to a local invistiation firm.

The first, is a fixed 6mm lens, non-ip, and costs 6,000. The second is a PTZ, IP camera and runs 14,250. These usually are not practical for home security. However I can read "Silvertab" on the back of someones jeans as they walk by.

-Chris

4 Channel Video-Insight Software - $350
8 Channel Video-Insight Capture Card - 1,000
Mogo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICUSecurity wrote:
When dealing with low light cameras your most effective solution is using IR. It emits a light unseen to the human eye, but gives you light for black and white pictures.

We do have 2 infer-green cameras, they are both military grade. We provide them to a local investigation firm.

The first, is a fixed 6mm lens, non-ip, and costs 6,000. The second is a PTZ, IP camera and runs 14,250. These usually are not practical for home security. However I can read "Silvertab" on the back of someones jeans as they walk by.

-Chris

Well the infer-green are out Smile. I will investigate the IR ones. Thanks
rdunning0823

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Night Vision Reply with quote

Night vision can also be effective with a slow shutter. The trade-off is streaky moving objects. This may satisfy your needs -- wildlife generally move slowly at night (in my humble experience) so slow shutter speed may be acceptable .

Be careful that the slow-shutter camera you select has automatic control over the shutter and gain/exposure, so that when the sun comes up, you can still use it without having to readjust the shutter settings.

Toshiba has the wb15a (about $600 ) which is rated at 0.18 lux. You can demo this (login at night to demo the night capabilities) and you can experiment with the shutter speed etc. It has automatic gain and shutter control. http://www.camerawebpage.com/

My experience with IR illuminators is that they have limitted range (~50 feet) and don't work well through windows because of reflection.

If anyone has any additional information about cameras with slow-shutter capability, please post as I am interested in identifying additional models (both USB and Internet capable).
Mogo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Night Vision Reply with quote

rdunning0823 wrote:
Night vision can also be effective with a slow shutter. The trade-off is streaky moving objects. This may satisfy your needs -- wildlife generally move slowly at night (in my humble experience) so slow shutter speed may be acceptable .

Be careful that the slow-shutter camera you select has automatic control over the shutter and gain/exposure, so that when the sun comes up, you can still use it without having to readjust the shutter settings.

Toshiba has the wb15a (about $600 ) which is rated at 0.18 lux. You can demo this (login at night to demo the night capabilities) and you can experiment with the shutter speed etc. It has automatic gain and shutter control. http://www.camerawebpage.com/

My experience with IR illuminators is that they have limited range (~50 feet) and don't work well through windows because of reflection.

If anyone has any additional information about cameras with slow-shutter capability, please post as I am interested in identifying additional models (both USB and Internet capable).

Thanks for the information.

I have since decided to go the CCTV route because the technology is "old" well established and the performance of the cameras are better for the same money that current IP cameras. Also, since night vision is very important to me and color does not matter the CCTV Black and White Low Light cameras offer excellent night vision at low prices, excellent warranties and great support.. Right now my choice is Pelco MC3651h which has slow shutter control you mention, but I am still researching options.

Looking to the future I see when the time comes to replace these I may go the IP route since by then IP cameras will be well established.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed