IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problems to change IP for IP camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
werbemaxe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: problems to change IP for IP camera Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have this problem: I have an Allnet All2282 IP Camera. Actually, I have two of them. One is working just fine with IP 192.168.1.7 and wireless. The other one could not be reached by my router, so I connected it with the LAN cable. I gave it the IP 192.168.1.240.

When using the IPFINDER software that comes with the camera, it finds the camera, but always wants to change the IP to 169.254.1.240
(instead of 192.168.1.240)

When I set this IP, I can connect to the camera. However, I can connect only by putting the LAN cable into my Notebook. It's NOT working when putting it in the router. How come?

What is wrong and what do I have to change? I have set the router with the correct IP and port. All should work fine!

Please help! thanks, max
Scott350B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: problems to change IP for IP camera Reply with quote

werbemaxe wrote:
Hi there,

I have this problem: I have an Allnet All2282 IP Camera. Actually, I have two of them. One is working just fine with IP 192.168.1.7 and wireless. The other one could not be reached by my router, so I connected it with the LAN cable. I gave it the IP 192.168.1.240.

When using the IPFINDER software that comes with the camera, it finds the camera, but always wants to change the IP to 169.254.1.240
(instead of 192.168.1.240)

When I set this IP, I can connect to the camera. However, I can connect only by putting the LAN cable into my Notebook. It's NOT working when putting it in the router. How come?

What is wrong and what do I have to change? I have set the router with the correct IP and port. All should work fine!

Please help! thanks, max

My understandings is that the 169 address range is the "link local" address range and is not routable. It is used only by default on some devices when a DHCP server cannot be found so there can be some connectivity. As a result these addresses are not routinely used. In your case when you connected the IP camera direct there was no DCHP server available so the laptop defaulted to a 169 address so you were able to connect to it . I think if you hard coded the laptop IP address to (for example) 192.168.1.8 and the camera to 192.168.1.240 they would still be able to talk to each other when connected directly to each other.

As for the camera not working when connected to the same network as the camera on 192.168.1.7 I am not sure what is going on. At first blush the first thing that comes to mind is that if IPFINDER is trying to change the address to 169.254.1.240 that means to me that the computer/laptop that IPFINDER is running on also has a 169 address. I would start there and check the address of the laptop (ipconfig) to be sure it has a 192.168.1.X address. The fact that you cannot use the camera when it is connected to the network through the router with a 169 address might go back to the fact 169 addresses are not routable.

The one thing that bothers me is that you say the 192.168.7 camera is working correctly. Is it working correctly with the same computer/laptop that you are using IPFINDER on or are you basing it on connecting to it with another computer that is on the network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed