IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACM-1231 Conduit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
Justin C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: ACM-1231 Conduit Reply with quote

I'm installing an ACTI ACM-1231 outdoors and the manual says to use conduit for waterproofing. This will be installed on the side of my house (not directly under a roof), plus I'm located in Canada (think SNOW). What is the best way to install the camera and run the cable through the side of the house?

http://www.acti.com/getfile/KnowledgeBase_UploadFile/Waterproof_Installation_of_TCM-1231_ACM-1231_ACM-1431_20110620_002.pdf

Thanks
Justin
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera comes with the plastic piece by the rear where you poke the ethernet cable through and I leave it since it points down, never had a problem. But I can see where cold may be an issue for you. I also have an ACTi mount that has cable management, meaning the cable threads through the mount and enters the wall through the back of the mount, but still, doesn't address the watertighness, still open although a small bit of expanding foam like what's used for foam earplugs will seal that up pretty tight.

To use the method they describe, you'll need to get 3/4" flexible conduit which is not that flexible, and run the wire through that. They do leave out the part as to how it attaches to your house. Conduit attaches to a junction box and they make plastic ones for this purpose in gray that have 3/4" pop outs.

Last edited by buellwinkle on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Justin C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using expanding foam to seal the opening is a good idea, that will be much easier (and look nicer) than using some sort of conduit/liquid-tight.

Can I use regular CAT5 cable or should I use outdoor-rated cable?
m1chael
Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin C wrote:
Using expanding foam to seal the opening is a good idea, that will be much easier (and look nicer) than using some sort of conduit/liquid-tight.

Can I use regular CAT5 cable or should I use outdoor-rated cable?

Justin C-

Buellwinkle is the go to expert for the 1231 (he assisted me big time when I was selecting cams for my installation) so what he said is def on point.

I will only add that reg cat5e cable will be good enough and outdoor rated not necessary. Also, the manual says the grommet or whatever is 1/2 inch so you would think 1/2 flex tube would work but nope you have to get the 3/4 flex tubing. I did a few extra steps (for moisture control rain / snow / etc) and put electric tape around both ends (end going into camera and end going into the house / against the siding or whatever). I did not spray foam my opening just because the tubing is against the side of the house fairly tightly.

I will attach a pic of my front porch cam so you can check it out.....

buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't an outdoor version of cat5. There is burial grade, typically black. It's metal foil shielded and has a grease coating between the outer shell and the foil. Messy to work with but not needed for what you are doing.

M1chael, that's a picture perfect install job.
Justin C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

m1chael - how did you attach the flex tube to your house? It looks like you drilled a big enough hole to push the tube through the siding then caulked around it?
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quicky comment in regards to outdoors and cat5 non-burial grade cable.... Over 3 years ago I installed an Axis camera in an outdoor enclosure in a tree. I needed to run about 30 feet of cat5 from the tree to my house and prefered it to be out of sight. The ground was near freezing temps so I did not have much time. My quick but temporary solution was to use a circular saw with a wood ripping blade and cut a path along the ground from the tree to the house at about 4" deep which would easily allow me to push the cable into the cut. Took me about 10 minutes. It worked so well and problem free I left it alone and have no intention to trench, run conduit and and of the other fancy things many would do.. As of today, the same cable is being used with a PoE midspan on the house side pumping voltage to the camera as well as two way communication over the same cable. Was I lucky? No idea, but i ain't changing it until something happens to the cable.

John
New jersey
Justin C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used regular (non-burial) cable outdoors in conduit before and never had problems but I figured the UV might break down the outer layer of the cable after a few years of sun exposure...? Maybe the cables are stronger than they look Wink
m1chael
Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle- Thanks for the compliment on the install job:)

Justin C- I did not drill a huge hole in the siding / wall of the house. Actually it was just big enough to get the cat5 wire through itself. Basically I just used electric tape to keep the end as tight as possible and then squeezed it and shoved it in the crack that you see in the pic (siding and trim or whatever). Also, if you look close, you can still see the grey color of the cat5 cable right where it goes into the siding.

Any other questions or addt'l pics just ask:)
MarkM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Iím in a similar situation. I just purchased a TCM-1231 to replace my IP8332 (poor night performance), and Iím concerned about condensation in the cold weather. The winter temperature in my location can drop to -40 in January. Having said that, should I not be concerned to make the installation air tight and use a packet of silica gel placed in camera?

Iím basing my question on my previous experience with my IP8332 which had air tight measures in place along with a package of silica gel.

Mark
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some brands like Brickcom and Axis provide silica packs but never seen that with ACTi. It's water tight execept the opening in the back. Like I said before, I would insert expanding foam like earplug foam to seal it, that would retain the heat and the keep moisture out.
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivotek also uses the silica packs in their bullet cameras.

John
New Jersey
MarkM

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to track down a 1/2" PVC Threaded Strain Relief Connector, with rubber grommets. My plan is to forgo the flex conduit and directly patch in the cat 5 cable.

I removed the Acti supplied PVC strain relief and used this one from HomeDepot.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/pvc-threaded-strain-relief-connector-150-1-2-inch/954713

I used the 1/4" round grommet, slid a wooden pencil through the centre hole and took a brand new exacto knife blade to cut through 1 side, allowing me to slip it on the cable. Everything appears to be watertight, but I also plan on adding a silica gel pack inside the camera. I live in an area with extreme seasonal temperatures. Summer can hit 90F and winter can dip to -40F and I have some concerns about condensation building in the unit.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed