IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My NAS server really let me down today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
jb_bak

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: My NAS server really let me down today Reply with quote

My wife called me a few nights ago and told me she heard gunshots. Not sure what happened but lots of cop cars at neighbors house from 9PM-1AM in the morning. I thought to myself, I had a mobotix camera aiming out my driveway that direction. I'll check and see what happened! Well I just checked, and my mobotix cam says in the bottom center "server may be down", So I go check and my WD world edition NAS server is unlit, so I unplug, and replug power, lights up and makes noises. Get back into MXcontrol center and find out that the last recording was May 5th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, finally have a real need for all the thousands I spent on the setup, and nothing...........................DAMN!
jb_bak

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's a well documented problem with the WD world edition NAS. I'm surprised mine worked this long!

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/WD-World-Edition-white-light-freezes-locks-up/td-p/99198
Superzar2000

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using this for years and never had a problem. Highly recommended:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here. The Mobotix cameras can automatically notify by you by email if it can't write to the NAS so that should never had happened where you unknownly lost video.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A typical network-addressable storage device (NAS) is what, $200? Insert all the hands in the middle and you are buying something that may have cost $50 to build. In other words, you are buying trouble. The cheapest parts are used; the least-tested software from varied sources, with zero support from the original, are thrown together; every possible corner is cut. All this to get the price as low as it can go. Build your own PC. Buy your own parts. Get a real OS. Get real software. Or carry on with that $200 lock + screen door combo they sold you.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK to use hardware that someday may fail as long as you have the alert mechanism to notify you in the event of the failure so you don't find out months later that is hasn't recorded anything and the Mobotix has that notification built into the camera.

Imagine the same thing would happen if you had a hard drive failure on an NVR and probably worse as if the hard drive fails, the unit dies without any notification.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle wrote:

A reall OS/software can tell you the camera died. A dead camera would be something special if it could do the same. A real OS/software is the only true way to go, for those that care. My server has been running my software 24/7/going on 1000 days (November 2009) down only for a few service packs, and a few hour-plus power outages (the OS hibernates and my software just starts right where it was, recording files where they left off before hibernating). A NAS just can't do that. A camera just can't do that.

In this case, where it all went unnoticed for so long, and only (trying) to see what happend next door/across the street, who does care? No real harm, no real foul. The guy's exasperation with "spending thousands of dollars" and getting nothing, is still no real harm.

Penny-wise, pound-foolish may not seem to apply, but it does. Don't hook up your camera to a NAS and expect more than doubling your chance of complete failure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed