IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless access point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
frozen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Wireless access point Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I am considering purchasing the Panasonic WV-SC385. I plan on mounting it outside, in an outdoor dome. It will be on the other side of the house from my 2wire 3801HGV router. Instead of running cat5 cable clear across the house, my idea was using a wireless access point with poe injection fairly close to the camera.
Will this work? If so, could you suggest a wireless access point/equipment for doing this?
Thanks.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubiquiti and Engenius are the two low end players for outdoor commercial grade access points for under $100. Check their website for models and specs.

Since your 2Wire only has 802.11b/g, you can get a Ubitquiti Nanostation Loco Access Point for $49 list. If you upgrade your router to one that does 802.11n then you may want the higher end Nanostation for $89 list. While they have 10-20km range, that's with complete line of site. Just having a few walls in between may lower that 10km range to 10m. Also, just because you can get a connection doesn't mean you have a good one and an internmittent or very weak connection can be worse than no connection at all.

An alternative to WiFi would be Powerline, seems to have made a comeback in recent years.

As for injectors, you can find them all over the internet. Make sure it's capable of working the PTZ cameras as they usually have higher power requirements.
frozen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle, thanks so much for your reply.
frozen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again. Can anyone suggest an outdoor dome for the Panasonic wv-sc385? I live in extreme South Florida so a heater isn't needed. I looked at the Panasonic posm5v but I was hoping to find one without the heater and save the $$$$. I just need to keep the moisture out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed