IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dahua HDB3200CN vs Axis M3114-VE picture comparison

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Dahua HDB3200CN vs Axis M3114-VE picture comparison Reply with quote

I just installed one of the 2 HDB3200CN (2.8MM lens) that I received last week. I took some snapshots from Blue Iris of the different cameras around my house.

Pricing (my actual cost per unit)
Axis M3114-VE $460-500
Dahua HDB3200 $170 (on sale from $185)

Dahua
The porch from the camera to the other end is about 67', the area that bumps out on the right side is about 20'. The dumpster at the far end is 120' plus. The porch is 10' deep at the camera location.

Axis

Axis

Axis

The colors are more natural/real looking with the Axis cameras. I need to adjust the Dahua to point outward more, but it was a quick install to test it. They are all set to 15fps due to limited bandwidth between this house (the one I am building) and where I am living 2 houses down the street.

I will add some night time shots later.

All settings are pretty much default with the exception of WDR on the dahua, and auto-exposure zone for a couple of the Axis.
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I can notice between the Axis and Dahua is the Dahua works best in a consistently lit environment. If you have a mix of well lit and shaded areas it will struggle to adjust properly, the Axis handles this much better. Is the Axis worth the difference in price? That is hard to say.
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early evening before dark, flood lights just came on. The Dahua looks good at this lighting level. It does seem to switch to BW fairly early.

Switched to BW

Dahua only in BW

Axis at the same time

At about 8:40 at night

Pete_
Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comparison! So my question: is the premium price for Axis cameras (and other brands) worth it compared to the Dahua's with similar specs and performance?
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to say, Axis has excellent support. Dahua, you have to deal with a vendor that might not be in business in 6 months. If you go the Q-see (made by Dahua) route via Costco, you can be protected by the Costco guarantee.

I think the Axis picture quality is overall better than the Dahua. Depending on your needs, the Dahua is a good option. It is slightly more than expensive than a Foscam, and 10x better picture quality. Had I known about the Dahua cameras when I bought the Axis (or the Foscams that I had before and died), I would have given them a shot to start. I had almost $2k in 4 Axis cameras, I could have bought a 10 of the Dahua for the same money.
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seeing a quirk with the Dahua and Blue Iris. BI will stop receiving video frequently, but I am able to connect to the Dahua and watch it stream via the web interface while it is not working in BI. Not sure if the stream is having issues or if it is BI related. Some of the time it is for a few seconds, others it is up to 2 minutes before BI resets the connection to it and it starts working again.

*update

BI just updated and restarted and I am not seeing the issue at the moment.

As a test I tried to connect to the camera using VLC with the same parameters that BI has, and it wouldn't allow me to connect even after providing authentication.

these don't work, top one is the one from BI
rtsp://camera_ip/cam/realmonitor/channel=1&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}

rtsp://camera_ip/cam/realmonitor/channel=1&subtype=0

these work fine
rtsp://camera_ip/

these work fine
rtsp://camera_ip/

rtsp://camera_ip/cam/realmonitor

So this might be a renegotiation issue between BI and the camera.
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I wonder how the Dahua cajeras hold up in the long run and in freezing temps as well as direct lightning strikes Shocked

John
New Jersey
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw a grounding point for the camera in the manual, so it might be able to reduce the impact of a strike. The holding up part is still up in the air.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahua has been around a long time, claims to be the largest CCTV camera company in the world but doesn't sell under it's own brand name. What happened is these cameras were purchased in China to be resold in the U.S. against Dahua's policies. Have you noticed they don't exist much on eBay anymore. I heard Dahua is cracking down on gray market cameras. You can still get them through legit channels like Q-See or EyeSurv or even Andy of Linovision in China, all legit channels as far as I know.

The camera can be set to be color only and given that the day/night mode is just the camera switching to b&w mode without a real IR cut filter, it's best if you force it in day mode all the time, you may even get a better picture at night. Also, you may get more noise, but cranking up the gain to 80 or even 100 will let you see in darker environments.
rayofsi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahua is one of 18 full members of onvif, i think that speaks to something about credibility.
http://www.onvif.org/Membership/MemberList.aspx
tome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone walked up and did some damage or swiped something could you identify them from any of these cameras? Or if a car pulled up and hurled a brick could you get a license number? All of the images seem like they are lacking detail that could identify someone or read a plate, but perhaps I am mistaken - it is always hard to tell unless the image has a person and/or plate in it.

I wish reviews would always include a person and a car plate. To me, it seems like having a camera that couldn't ident someone is not very helpful. I don't need a camera to come home and see that someone broke in. If I had video of the break-in and couldn't get much useful info from it I would be even more frustrated.

I know that buellwinkle says you need 80 pixels to identify a face, but it is hard to tell where a person would have to stand to get that from these cameras...

Tom
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to setup a camera where the person has to be close enough to commit a crime. So when you look at my driveway, the street, the house across the street, even the sidewalk is just noise. But as soon as you cross the line on to the property, my driveway, then you are within the 80 pixel face height. I know because my gardner comes once a week, I can clearly identify them at the edge of my driveway (their heads are between 80-90 pixels) and of course the closer they get, the more identifiable they get. So if someone breaks into my car, they will be as identifiable as possible. And that means there's circumstances you have no control over like them wearing a baseball cap that hides their face, or glasses or even a mask.

To to that, I need about 5mm lens, not 2.8mm, not 3.6mm. I showed my neighbor the 2.8mm Dahua camera and he thought it was awesome that I can cover so much area with one camera. I told him it's BS, because with that lens, and 1080P resolution, it's not enough to ID someone at 20'.

You should really look at a lens calculator that tells you all you need to know before just jumping into lenses.
tome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle wrote: You should really look at a lens calculator that tells you all you need to know before just jumping into lenses.

Seems like you posted a link to one of these in the past but I can't find it searching for calculator or lens calculator. Can you post one?

Thanks,
Tom
tome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps: I found this one: http://www.jvsg.com/online/#
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to ID someone at all angles and distances. My goal is to be notified if someone is close enough to my house and shouldn't be. I had some contractors there last week and at 20-40', I could get enough detail to ID them. It wasn't the same as if they were 5' away, but enough to work with.

The police have a 2-4 minute response time in this area, so I can call them if someone is snooping around where they shouldn't.

My house is 200' off the road sitting about 1/2 way back on the lot. There are 2 empty lots to the right side (the next building to the right is an old hospital), and a house to the left is a neighbor of 60 years (my grandparents built on this lot in 1950 and she was already at the house next door).

This reduces any accidental walk ups to my house. If someone is around my house, it is for a reason. Would it be nice to have super detailed info? Yes it would, but at what price point and where is the ROI?

My front porch will have 5 cameras eventually, it only has 2 now. So I am not done yet.. The only camera that is close to its final location is the one to the left of the Dahua in the BI snapshots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed