IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAW player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
bigb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: RAW player Reply with quote

I posted earlier about problems with the Acti Archive RAW video player but got no response. Anyone know of a good RAW player/converter that can be downloaded?

I love the video from the KCM5611 but recording and playing back video has been a real challenge.

What are the drawbacks of just recording in MJPEG? I have a 4TB drive for storage. Is motion detection act differently when recording in MJPEG?

Any help would be appreciated, seems like this forum has been very inactive lately?
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can convert using their tool you can download from the ACTi website or by using their NVR. Never had trouble converting.

Just about all camera companies write their video in a proprietary format and this is very intentional. I'm not a lawyer, but in court, the reason is that it's considered factual evidence because it can't be edited. If you go to court with an AVI file, the court may throw it out if they feel it has been tampered with, and clearly, you can go to any video editing software and edit open format video files like AVI or MP3.

I use the free ACTi NVR 3.0 software for recording and it's very good, best NVR software I've come across. You can scrub across a timeline to quickly find the video you want across multiple cameras, select what points you want to export and it will export it AVI format. The software installs quickly, finds your cameras, uses the existing motion detect for recording, pretty easy to setup and uses very little CPU.
bigb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Acti 3.0 software as well, guess I don't know it well enough yet. It id recording to a dedicated drive in RAW format, don't know how to get AVI files from the software. It is NVR3 and I also downloaded the workstation, seems like the two programs go together, or else I am using the wrong one.

Could you possibly post up a screen shot showing how you can get recordings in AVI format?

Thanks
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how to view recordings? i'll start from scratch. When you go to the web server or use the cient software for NVR 3.0, there's 3 sideways tabs on the right. Top one has an eye, the second on has two arrows >> and the last one is for settings.

Click on the >> tab and that puts you into recordings. You'll see a timeline for each camera at the bottom. Just to keep it simple, doubleclick on one camera. You'll see one larger window for that one camera and the timeline for it below.

Drag the timeline by clicking on it's background and drag the line until a highlighted event displays under the red line in the middle. You'll see an image on the screen. You click the play button and see it play if you want to, but hit stop to continue the export process.

Put the video timeline under the red line where you want to start the video. Right click on the timeline and select the Mark Export Start. Now drag the timeline to the end of the last video you want to export, doesn't have to be together and right click and select Mark Export End. This area will now be hilighted.

Now you are half way home. Right click on the highlighted area and select Export Video. A window pops up with all your options. Select AVI for Video Settings and select the disk path were you want to write this too and click Apply.

See, easy peasy. Really, I have not seen software this good from anybody. I'm going to miss it a bunch since I now have a 50-50 mix of Dahua and ACTi.
bigb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks, I didn't check out that >> tab. This is great! It even found my network connected drive which the storage tab cannot see, I had to create a virtual drive before it would show up on the storage page.

Now I am assuming it will continue to record into the selected drive until the reserve space is full then it will overwrite? I have a 4TB network attached drive with a 2TB virtual disk drive that I plan on using for storage.

Takes me a while to figure things out sometimes, thanks for the help. You are right that is great software, I know now my next cams will be Acti.

I have one problem with the KCM 5611 that I cannot figure out, it does this about once per day:

I can fix it with a re-boot or if I leave it alone it will clear up over several hours.
I filled out a ticket on the AcTi web site a week ago but have not heard back.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably recovering from the holidays which is no excuse. Stay on them to get back to you.

First thing I do is check to make sure I have the latest firmware. I don't have that camera as I borrowed it for my review, but somewhere at the bottom of the choice of settings there should be a maintenance or system option where it will show you the system log and that has the firmware version near the top. Then go to their support site and find the camera firmware available and see if your's is original which may be pretty old. I know while I was testing, they released a firmware upgrade that cleared several issues.
bigb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did upgrade the software right away to get the sd card support. I'll try to update my support ticket.

Thanks for all your help, I know you are busy but I really appreciate your willingness to help out a newbie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed