IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temps up 50 or 60 degrees since install. Need to refocus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
SteveM

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Temps up 50 or 60 degrees since install. Need to refocus? Reply with quote

I have an outdoor bullet camera (trendnet TV-IP322P). Temps went up to 88 degrees today and it seems blurry. They are mounted under the 2nd floor soffit, there are 3 inch vents up there, every 16" that are supposed to be intakes to cool the attic, but maybe some hot air comes down. Is it typical to need to refocus for summer?

Last edited by SteveM on Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cameras have been up for several years and I have never refocused them. Can you post pictures of before and now?
SteveM

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Two photos, a week apart. Blurry had higher outdoor temps Reply with quote

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/84quattro/media/2013-5-28NotBlurry_zps9e4f50a1.jpg.html

and

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/84quattro/media/2013-5-28-Blurry_zps93dd095a.jpg.html

I hope you can see these, on photobucket.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had anything like that happen but definitely needs re-focusing.
SteveM

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Picture is better now that temps have dropped. Reply with quote

Time will tell. The picture has been sharper as temperatures have dropped. It's headed back into the 90s this weekend.
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could there be condensation in the camera? Are you in a hot and humid area?
SteveM

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Prob not condensation Reply with quote

It's been raining like crazy and is humid, but the picture is pretty sharp now. Temps are still in 70's.
SteveM

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Refocusing did help for now Reply with quote

Yes it was almost 90 degrees today and the shots were blurry. I refocused two of these TV-IP322Ps outdoor bullet cams and the picture is crisp now. We'll see what happens if i get a cold spell.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the specs for the camera and am I reading it right, 12mm lens. If so, that's a telephoto lens and only 22 degree view angle, wow, never seen a cameras with a fixed 12mm lens.

Without auto-iris, that f1.8 lens is open all the time, exposing the sensor to the full rays of the sun. Now imagine this, if you wanted to start fire, what camera lens would you use to magnify the powers of the sun? If you answered a fast telephoto lens like a 12mm f1.8 lens, ding, ding, ding, you win.

So it could be that Trendnet created the perfect storm, a fast telephoto lens with a fixed fast aperture that fries the sensor into warping.

The good news is that it has a 3 year warranty, call them up, tell them what it's doing and clearly it's unacceptable for surveillance purposes if it won't stay in focus during the course of a day. Maybe they can offer a different camera or maybe a refund.
SteveM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Live and learn - get a camera with an iris Reply with quote

Being a newbee - I missed that I might want some Iris control. No wonder the depth of field didn't seem to improve in sunny conditions. I have four of these cameras, and this is the only outdoor camera that Trendnet sells, so I don't think I'll be swapping for a different camera. That's why I started poking around this site - to lurk and learn. I'm checking out better brands here.
SteveM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Now that focus is set for 85 degrees , cool spell = trouble Reply with quote

Now that we have a cool spell of 55F, the focus is out again on this Trendnet. TV-IP322P . Last month I re-focused it on an 85 degree day. I switched to buying Axis cameras so maybe I'll get better quality. Axis has P-Iris!?

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/84quattro/media/snapshot-2013-6-14-13-23-15BlurryAndCool_zps46ff9b16.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I'll contact Trendnet when I get a chance.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the P33 series has auto iris. Makes sure the iris is open when focusing to get accurate focusing. It's all done from the web interface.
SteveM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: There is an ACTi camera that has this Fixed IRIS telephoto Reply with quote

Concerning bullwinkles' May 31 observation:

'I was looking at the specs for the camera (trendnet TV-IP322P) and am I reading it right, 12mm lens. If so, that's a telephoto lens and only 22 degree view angle, wow, never seen a cameras with a fixed 12mm lens. '

WELL,

I stumbled on that fact that the the vari-focal Acti E41 can beat out the trendnet "sensor warping" having a F1.6 lens, fixed iris and 19 degree field of view .

BTW - I haven't contacted Trendnet about this problem, but I am probably inclined to buy cameras in the future which have an iris control, as it must give the ability for better dept of focus, in addition too keeping the sensor cooler. I have an Axis 3364_VE now, I just haven't installed. it.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial shipment of the ACTi varifocal cameras had the lens tightened down wrong. I know because I had several models affected. I went to their office and they readjusted it in 2 minutes and it was good. The price I pay for being the first kid on the block with a new model. It manifested itself as one side being blurry while the other sharp. Is you problem different? I had not had any issues with heat related warping on my ACTi or any of my cameras and we had some 100 degree days this summer.

I did a review on a camera I special ordered with a 12mm lens (normally comes with a 4mm lens), awesome camera, very clear, sharp image. I use it at my weekend home to check weather and keep an eye on the dock, not for security, just to see if the boat sunk after a storm, LOL - http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1791
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed