IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

System Suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
JetMech

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: System Suggestion Reply with quote

Guys

I have been reading this site for some time. I am ready to buy and install a system for home security. I have already purchased the switch on Bullwinkles recommendations to another member. It is a ZyXEL ES1100-16p. I think 8 ports are powered and 8 are not powered...

I am starting out with 2 dome cameras. They need to view a area up to 60 feet. Need motion detection, outdoor, need to monitor remotely from a Android and PC. Needs to send notification, POE, ability to connect with Honeywell alarm... I was thinking of the ACTI E77 to start with. What do you guys suggest?

PC Software suggestions? Blue Iris?

Thanks

Jet
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use BlueIris for 9 cameras. All are 1-3MP. It works well, I set alerts to be sent via the android app, sms and email. For the price and starting off with cameras it is a good option, $49 + $10 for the android app.

There are some good options for cameras under $300. Hikvision has some affordable cameras that do a great job. I just bought 4 of the DS-2CD3332-I to replace older Axis M3114-VE that are day only. http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2135#comment-11098

I have a mixture of Axis, Dahua and will have the Hikvision next week.

I am not sure about connecting to the Honeywell alarm part. You can arm and disarm BlueIris remotely.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's all or mostly ACTi, you get very good NVR software for free that's way better than BlueIris. If you go with a mixed set of camera, consider the free Milestone XProtect Go (limited to 8 camera, 5 days recording) or Axxon Next, free for up to 16 cameras 1 TB of recording. The reason is these products are CPU friendly, you can easily run 8+ cameras on a slower processor. I like BlueIris but it can consume a good amount of CPU and the server and client software are one, so no way to decouple the client to run on another PC. Also, one key functionality is missing, multi-camera playback. To me it's key to look at a few cameras playing back at the same time so you can view a sequence of events as the suspect say goes from your driveway to front door, to inside the house and you have a camera at each point.
paarlberg
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for the hardware specs for Axxon Next to see what CPU would be required. I will have 10-12 cams soon and it would be nice to move it off my desktop.

I have been happy with BI (as you already know) and I have tweaked itand the latest updates have cut CPU to 21% for 9 cams.
JetMech

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Just ordered my first camera, ACTI E77.

I wanted to stay with all the same brand. If this doesn't work with my needs I will check out the Hikvision .

Thanks
JetMech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Next Camera Reply with quote

Hello

I need a small camera that will be installed outside. Need to see only about 15 feet and about 6 feet wide. Almost like looking down the hallway. Needs low light, sound in both directions. Want to be able to speak to the person using my phone. ( Android ). POE. Will be recording on a dedicated computer also..
Needs to be compatible with the ACTI camera I bought a few days ago.

The smaller, the better...

Thank You..

J.M.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACTi indoor cubes like the E12 have microphone built-in but no speaker but you can install a powered speaker using line-out but extra work but also is day only and does not have an LED for night lighting.

Here's alternatives, don't know if it works with ACTi software. These cube cameras all have mic & speaker built in for 2-way communication and I've used these or a variation of them and they work well;

- AVTech AVN812 or 813 (WiFi, not PoE) - has white LED for night lighting
- Hikvision ds-2cd2432f-iw (WiFi or PoE) - has IR LED for night lighting
- Axis M1034-W (WiFi, not PoE) - has white LED for night lighting
- Axis M1054 (not WiFi, but PoE) - has white LED for night lighting
JetMech

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

I will look into them...

I got my ACTI E77 and I see it has the audio in and out. Now my question is where can I find the out door microphones and speakers that will work with this camera? Will the camera power the speaker and micro or acts like a relay? Not sure how this works..

I hope to get this camera working in a few weeks. I am pretty excited...
JetMech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Its working Reply with quote

Got my first camera up and running. E77 ACTI. I have a few questions for you guys........

Night time is pretty fuzzy. I have a street light there so not sure what settings I should have.

Bugs, birds, shadows are setting it off

How do I set it up to view on my phone?

Thanks to all

It was a real treat to turn it on and see what was going on outside my home..
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That camera does not have the best night time performance. If you want to use it at night, 1080P mode gives you much better low light sensitivity.

To view on a phone depends what NVR recording solution you have. If you use ACTi NVR 3.0 software for recording, then use the smartphone apps from ACTi. If you are not recording via an NVR or NVR software or you are recording on SD card or via FTP, then you can use one of many solutions for Android or IOS. I use IP Cam Viewer in that case. The free version has advertising, or pay $3.99 for the ad-free version. The advantage of using a solution that comes with the recording solution is you can view live and recordings from your phone, with a generic solution, you can only view live.
videofairy
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: System Suggestion Reply with quote

JetMech wrote:

I am starting out with 2 dome cameras. They need to view a area up to 60 feet.

Dear Jef,
To check what you will be able to see at 60 feet you can try a demo version of IP Video System Design Tool from
http://www.jvsg.com

You can import your floor plans or site map, add cameras and see if it is possible to identify/recognize/detect a person at distances you are interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed