IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axis 207MW thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
klas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Axis 207MW thoughts Reply with quote

The reason I went with this Axis 207MW was because I wanted compact and reliable camera with low light capabilities. I thought getting one with 1.3 MP censor would be a big plus, but more on it later. At first I was looking at DSG-950G because it was more than half the price of 207MW, but after reading numerous negative reviews I realized that I didn't want to deal with unpolished DLink firmware/software and so-so support.

So the camera...

Nice compact design and good build quality, but it's not where the camera shines. Once you hook it up you'll be amazed by the clean looking images. (640x480 resolution) However, when you change it to 1.3MP resolution the image looks interpolated, so I am wondering if this is really a true 1.3 MP camera.

Connecting to the network was a breeze (probably 15 mins), but the problems started with recording video. All I wanted was to setup motion detection and send files to my NAS/router (Asus 700gE) over ftp. When I tried using full 1.3 MP resolution the camera would lock up and restart, I reduced resolution to 640x480 and was able to record some motion detection, but it was working inconsistently. There are 2 options to save file either jpeg images or MPEG4. I tried both, but I really wanted a video clip and not images. I was finally able to record a few MPEG4 files and while I was playing them I noticed that not all my movements were recorded, on top of that I was playing them through QuickTime and suddenly I got a message that my QT player is corrupted (buffer overrun type of error) so now even reinstalling QT player doesn't make any difference. (I suspect that files are corrupted by the camera software, but I didn't have much time to figure this out)

After spending over 5 hours it is still not functional.

I am thinking that the problem is with the bandwidth over wireless network. If this is true then I am really disappointed. What's good of 1.3MP camera if I can't even record 640x480 @ 15 fps on my local network? I am going to try to connect to a wired network and perform the same tests.

Well, enough of negative thoughts here are some pluses:

Compact
Great image quality
Easy to connect to the network
Clean web interface
Great documentation
Low light capabilities are great
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review Smile Might I suggest adding it here as well? http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/networkcameras/axis/207MW/addreview.html

I would suggest checking the firmware version of your camera. There might be a firmware upgrade for your camera that fixes the issues. As for the software, if you are only running one camera, try Milestone because they offer a free one camera license. It runs a heck of a lot better than the AXIS software.
Todd S
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the unit go about uploading video via FTP?
FTP is not exactly feature rich and cannot do any sort of streaming (anything where the file is changing while it is uploading). Using FTP would require the video clip to be complete prior to uploading. And that would require a ton of memory on the cam itself.
So, unless I am misunderstanding you, I can totally see why you are having troubles.
I think the solution is something similar to what Wes said. Get software designed for recording motion video and lose FTP. I am using the free 1 single cam license of Milestone. It takes just a few minutes to get stuff set up and it has been very reliable.
klas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd S wrote:
How does the unit go about uploading video via FTP?
FTP is not exactly feature rich and cannot do any sort of streaming (anything where the file is changing while it is uploading). Using FTP would require the video clip to be complete prior to uploading. And that would require a ton of memory on the cam itself.
So, unless I am misunderstanding you, I can totally see why you are having troubles.
I think the solution is something similar to what Wes said. Get software designed for recording motion video and lose FTP. I am using the free 1 single cam license of Milestone. It takes just a few minutes to get stuff set up and it has been very reliable.

The idea was to run the cam without computer, but I realized that FTP will not work for MPEG4 videos, so I switched to just taking pictures and saving them on my router/NAS and it works great.

I'll give Milestone a try.

Thanks!
xsnrg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more word on this? I have been looking at this camera as an upgrade/addition to my Linksys wireless PTZ.
klas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you like to know?
I'll try posting a picture later on.

I still like the camera so far, although I think it’s a bit pricy for home use. I’ve set it up to e-mail me still jpegs if motion is detected and it’s been working flawlessly, it’s been a week and it hasn’t locked yet. Occasionally, I check the feed online, but it’s just my backyard, so nothing interesting to see.

Couple things I wished it had:
Vista support, they promise it in February
Being able to set the time of the day for motion detection, but I think this is possible with other software packages.
Built in IR for night vision as it’s pretty useless at night right now. Can you recommend anything? Also, is it possible to plug in any IR’s to camera’s input.
xsnrg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good summary, I was just wondering what the latest experiences were with it. Hope it does what you want it to.
klas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly I liked it enough to consider getting a second one. I really don't need PTZ, just need fixed lens camera with good resolution and this is the best you can get for the price. BTW, I got it for $338 at techonweb.com.
Todd S
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about LUX ratings other than "lower is better".
If you check this comparison out, you will the see 207MW is rated inferior (and again, I have no idea to what degree) to the 207/207W in regards to low light sensitivity.
From what I have read, you need some pretty expensive IR emitters to effectively cover outdoor areas, like what might be found in your average back yard.
If you were bored/rich/psycho, you could buy an IR motion sensor and plug it into the alarm input of your 207 and then program an alrm input to trigger the camera to start recording, and simultaneously trigger an alarm output, which would signal an IR emitter to turn on.
...or something like that Laughing
klas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd S wrote:

If you were bored/rich/psycho, you could buy an IR motion sensor and plug it into the alarm input of your 207 and then program an alrm input to trigger the camera to start recording, and simultaneously trigger an alarm output, which would signal an IR emitter to turn on.
...or something like that Laughing

am not rich/psycho/bored, but sometimes it's better be safe then sorry. If you get bulgurlized once your first thought would be about home security.

That's exactly what I wanted is to get external IR sensor that I plug in the unit, but I am not sure where to find one.
Todd S
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These forums can be difficult to accurately convey thoughts and ideas.
Sorry, but I did not mean in any way that monitoring your back yard was abnormal. I don't really have a front or a back yard (I live way out in the sticks), but I am monitoring the outside of my home with an IP camera...
What I was trying to do was describe a method by which you could accomplish your goals, albeit it is seemingly complicated, expensive, and perhaps even then not very usable. Believe me, the reason I know this is because I have looked into it.
I just don't think night monitoring is cost effective for the home user. I could very well be wrong (I hope that I am).
klas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I wanted to add that I currently have an issue with camer's time being reset after power/network loss. I contacted Axis and they are looking into this issue.
Raybert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Axis 207 does low light, but.... Reply with quote

I have a 207W set to point out the window in the back of my lower level. I am generally happy with the quality of the picture. It even does pretty well in low light, except when there is motion involved, at least for the still jpg images I have it set up to e-mail. I have a couple of very bright spot lights that turn on with motion. Sometimes this happens just from the wind blowing some tree branches around. In that case, with no close objects to capture, the pictures are fine. But the images of a person walking slowly, even full in the bright light, are hopelessly blurry and smeary. Daytime results are MUCH better. The 207 must use long shutter timing at night to achieve the otherwise good low light performance. I've not checked video taken under the same conditions so can't report on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed