IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Streaming network cameras over sattelite internet

wildlifereconsystems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Streaming network cameras over sattelite internet Reply with quote

I have a remote ptz network cameras (axis 213 ptz )solar powered with wireless antennas and access points with 6 cameras setup and have come across a problem with our current internet service and have ran into some problems.. Is it possible to run a high speed sattelite internet connection with this system and work correctly? Looking for any ideas and maybe who to use.. Thanks[/i]
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you happen to know the upload speed of your Internet connection? Also, what is the problem you are facing with your current Internet connection?

You will find the 6 cameras will slow down if you are viewing them all at once or recording from all 6 to a remote location, at the same time. You can try lowering the quality or resolution which should speed of the frame rate. If you want quality, you can always lower the frame rate as well.
wildlifereconsystems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Iternet service Reply with quote

Internet service was not giving us the speeds they said they would give us, but it was supposed to be around 400k up
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the speed ISP's give you are bits per second. This means you are getting 400kbps. You need to convert the bits to bytes to find out how many KB you can upload. There are 8 bits in a byte so divide 400 by 8 and you will get your actual upload speed which is 50KB/sec.

Are you recording from the cameras? Is the recording software on a remote PC meaning it is recording from all six cameras 24/7 over the Internet? If so, your problem could be that the video is bottlenecking when uploading to the Internet.
Techyy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Satellite connections Reply with quote

With Satellite connections you can't stream a video if you have more then 2 or something. But Axis always allows you to modify the page that you can update an image.

This is what I did on one of my installs, with 24 cameras. We din't wanted live videos but lets says snapshots whenever we want, so I made up my own page using cameras API to give me the current image and then refresh the page every some period of time whenever I need to see whats going on.

Then later on I got a software, which helped me a lot, with exact same feature + that software had another cool feature for disabling a camera after some configurable period of time if it has not been looked at. So that helped a lot and all the cameras were custom made but video servers were Axis 2401 and 2401+. Plus with this software I was able to use the local storage functionality too, I believe on 2401's they had like 16MB of Memory but in 241s's they have 32 MB's. And I think their PTZ cameras should also have the same feature.

But in short axis has some cool features that can make your installtion over satellite communication possible, its just you can't expect muc in terms of frame rate.

Hope this helps.
ICUSecurity
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras have no idea if you have a wireless link, or wired link.

The problem is you have no CIR. So reguardless of what you are transmitting, you transmit the full pipe. If you have a 4mb pipe, 9mp pipe, .5mb pipe, it does not matter! You will get better transmissions over you 1.5mbps T1 with CIR then you will on a 9mb Cable connection...

As far as saving bandwidth, you have 1 option really... IPvision. It is the only software I know of that works off of TCP/IP alarms.

This means the stream will not transmit over your network. Only when motion is detected will the connection be open up. So, if you have 10000 cameras but only 2 have motion infront of them, you are only transmitting 2 streams....

-Chris
btos
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is CIR?

I'm interested in this because of a recent request to install a remote solar powered system with a satellite Internet connection. Had no idea that the sat would be a problem...Vivotek wireless? Got to do an estimate...least favorite thing.
Mr Sots
Junky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR - Commited Information Rate http://www.networkworld.com/details/678.html?def

Satellite shouldn't be any more of a problem than any form of wire free transmission provided you make sure you get your calculations right and allocate sufficient bandwidth to the solution.
reuschli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: UMTS not available? Reply with quote

Hi,

Is UMTS not an option for you? There are several routers which do
UMTS and i figured out that the bandwidth is in much cases very good.

We use a C-MOR6 with UMTS and it works good: http://www.c-mor.us

Best regards,

Michael
btos
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearvision software offers alerts and remote playback from the LAN computer. Log in to the LAN via Internet and get playback delivery from anywhere. The recording from say, two cameras would be done from the LAN router, directly into the network's hard drive. This approach, rather than a remote monitoring company's storage service, would eliminate the bottleneck. That said, the storage issue is outta the way. Now, shouldn't that make actual live streaming just a matter latent delivery over satellite? Tweak frame rate, image size, compression and you should get a compromise...right?

(I vaguely understand UMTS but it's described as an emerging cell phone technology, something not readily available on satellite's 70's style technology, only available in frontier environments - we are talking satellite on the frontier. Love to have it though.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Video Servers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed