IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

xprotect basis+ vs - specific differences unclear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Milestone XProtect Software
vtjballeng

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: xprotect basis+ vs - specific differences unclear Reply with quote

I have been evaluating surveillance software for a 6-9 camera setup that will be monitoring day and night. We plan on using a mix of panasonic and axis cameras. We have tentatively settled on xprotect basis+ to start but are having trouble finding answers to basic questions.

These are the few issues that are unclear to me in looking through the technical details.
1. Single - channel one way audio in basis+ and multi-channel two-way audio in pro. What exactly is single channel or more specifically, where is this relevant? Will the audio from all of my cameras be recorded and offer playback with basis+?
2. Evidence export. Is there a way to export multiple recordings with audio on basis+? I don't care if they require different files or layouts, I just want to know if I can retrieve that data for evidence should I need to?
3. Does basis+ come with no support (only as an optional purchase) and pro comes with a 1 year support agreement?
4. In my trial of pro with 1 camera, I noticed my Panasonic BB-HCM715 flipping the image when transitioning from day to night mode in the milestone viewer. Milestone did not compensate. When looking at the Panasonic viewer in internet explorer, no flipping was observed. Is this a "feature" that requires a certain version and if not, what is required for proper function?
5. How many clients can use / view video with basis+? The specs list 1 client and 5 clients in different places.
6. Basis+ does not support patrolling? Really? Is there something in the spec I am missing?
7. Does any version support automatic, movement based PTZ tracking? We seem to have more sophistication in toys than multi-thousand dollar software packages if not... example -> www.paintballsentry.com

I suspect there are some caveats in the documentation and I find the presentation of the differences between versions to be very poor. I didn't find places where the differences or mentioned specifications were more fully explained or expanded upon. I know this is easy to do as a programmer / engineer but please keep in mind that your presentation is gibberish if there is no easy place to look for an expanded explanation where necessary.

Lastly, a single point of feedback for milestone staff. The omission of a username field in camera setup is fine IF you note on that on the setup page or in a readily accessible place what the required username is AND that it should be programmed into the camera. This took too much digging for what should have been a very simple setup on a panasonic camera and a trivial parameter I had to search for.
Josh
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vtjballeng,

To answer your questions...

1. Basis+ is limited to one-way audio (described as audio received FROM the camera), and one audio channel (the software will only pull audio from one camera). This audio channel will be recorded and available in the Smart Client. An upgrade to Professional is necessary for unlimited audio channels and two-way audio support.

2. You are able to export in AVI or JPEG format with Basis+, but it is not possible to export audio with the AVI in Basis+. An upgrade to Professional is required, and with Professional you have the added option of exporting in Database format which is quicker, better quality and does not rely on specific codecs to be installed on the computer where you review the evidence.

3. At this time we do not deny support to anyone, however as an end-user your first stop for support should be your reseller. They should be able to help with most issues, and they can contact us if a more serious issue exists. If your reseller is unresponsive you can contact our support team by phone or e-mail

http://www.milestonesys.com/Company/Contact_Us

4. Noted - the uninitiated often open a support request with the consumer line of Panasonic cameras since these do not have a default username and our developers have used "admin1" as the built-in username in our driver. Future drivers are being developed with the ability to specify the username through the GUI (in the 7.0 platform). While it isn't exactly the first place a person is liable to check, the "correct" username for cameras is listed under "Show Details" in our supported hardware list online. I agree that some kind of message would be useful in the GUI to let users know about this caveat.

5. Up to 5 concurrent clients are allowed as of Basis+ 6.5c. This is a relatively new feature and it doesn't look like all documentation has been updated to reflect this. Previous to 6.5c only one connection is allowed at a time (not counting the server itself). Users with 6.5a or b installed can upgrade to C at no cost by simply downloading and installing the software.

6. Unfortunately for Basis+ owners patrolling between preset positions is not possible to configure in the software and Professional is required.

7. Some PTZ cameras have built-in motion tracking, so this can be configured in the camera and then you can use our software to record, but our software does not have any PTZ tracking features.

You may already have found the full product comparison PDF and perhaps did not find it informative enough, but if you did not find it, you can download it here...

http://www.milestonesys.com/files/UserFiles/Docs/products/Milestone-XProtect-Comparison-Chart-Feb-18-2010-V1.pdf
vtjballeng

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh,

Thank you for the informative response. I have a few remaining points to clarify.

1. Single channel audio. I see that audio export is not supported with basis+. So, if I have 9 cameras, will audio be recorded on each of the 9 cameras? Will I be able to hear audio from all 9 cameras but simply not export it? Or does this mean I can only choose 1 camera to record audio from?

4. In my trial of pro with 1 camera, I noticed my Panasonic BB-HCM715 flipping the image when transitioning from day to night mode in the milestone viewer. Milestone did not compensate which resulted in frequent image flipping both in the live and recorded milestone views. When looking at the Panasonic viewer in internet explorer, no flipping was observed. Is this a "feature" that requires a certain version and if not, what is required for proper function?

Thanks for the link, I did find that chart and most of my questions were based on confusion from looking at the chart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Milestone XProtect Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed