IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting a video surveillance business~ need tips and hints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
BGE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Starting a video surveillance business~ need tips and hints Reply with quote

Thanks to the forum, I have decided to dump the franchise idea in favor of starting up on my own. As a novice in this area, what would you suggest that I buy to learn how to set up cameras and software.

My back ground: computer field engineer/network engineer, so I believe the computer configurations and software setup should not be to hard to work thru, I would like to set up a few cameras some outside most inside. I plan on putting these in my son's landscaping business office to make sure that his equipment and tools don't grow legs. I would need one in his office area, as they pay out the workers every Friday (by check) but I don't want anyone to get ideas and try to run off with the payroll. For now, I don't think that high resolution is needed, and storage space should not be an issue. I don't believe a high data capture rate is needed, I would like to set up this system so he can view his office area at off hours.
ICUSecurity
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you dont care about quality...
You dont care about resolution
you don't care about storage..

www.ebay.com - home of the cheap Asian solutions

-X

4 Channel Video-Insight Software - $350
8 Channel Video-Insight Capture Card - 1,000
Mr Sots
Junky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICUSecurity wrote:
So you dont care about quality...
You dont care about resolution
you don't care about storage..

www.ebay.com - home of the cheap Asian solutions

-X

I shouldn't laugh but lmfao Laughing

In fairness, to me high resolution is 3+ Mega-pixels so I would be tempted to agree unless he has several acres of landscaped gardens outside you're planning on covering?!

My advice would be to contact manufacturers/distributors who cover your area and try several systems. If you're planning on creating a business you would be crazy to do so with products selected purely through the advice of some forum goers...

There are hundreds of systems on the market. Reading these forums should give you some idea about some of the more well known brands to stay clear of (unless you enjoy maintennance visits). You also need to define your market as different systems offer different feature sets and different price tags and if you select Milestone Enterprise as the software to manage your four camera SOHO solution you're going to struggle!

There's some good people on these forums with a vast amount of knowledge. Try asking more focussed questions..!
Wes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to do your homework. There are a lot of good resources out there that will help you learn about IP surveillance products. This website is a great start.

I would suggest learning about each product line all the top manufacturers have to offer. Learn the in's and out's of each product and where they are best used. One thing I have learned over the years of doing product recommendations is that specific cameras are good for specific installations. It all depends on what the customer needs.

Like Mr Sots said, high quality products perform better and are more reliable. I highly suggest not cheaping out because you will be doing many maintenance visits if you choose low end cameras.

As for product and software recommendations, look into Milestone (for software) and AXIS (for cameras). Another suggestion is 4XEM (amazing tech support and complete product line - high end and low end).

The "Select a Manufacturer" select box on the top right of every page of this site contains the key manufacturers. Those are the ones I would suggest researching. Also check out the software section of this site.

The forums is great but be specific about your questions and take the time to research the answers you receive. Considering your are technically inclined you have a better advantage than many people getting into the IP industry.
dhoffman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Cameras Reply with quote

Go to some tech shows look at the camera technologies and become familiar with the camera specs. It matters.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobotix holds classes throughout the country. The price of admission is quite small considering they give you an $800 camera for free as part of their class.

Also Axis also has training in various forms. This is what I've done, helped out a lot in understand what is needed.

It's more than just buying cameras and configuring them, heck, that's really the easy part. It's knowing where to put them, what features you need, lighting, focal lengths. The networking aspects can be tricky, but if you worked with bridges, switches, routers in your current career, this should be simple. You just have to learn the PoE stuff which is pretty simple.

You don't need megapixel cameras, it's just easier to use MP cameras because you need less of them, so less wiring, mounting, etc.
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle wrote:
It's more than just buying cameras and configuring them, heck, that's really the easy part. It's knowing where to put them, what features you need, lighting, focal lengths. The networking aspects can be tricky, but if you worked with bridges, switches, routers in your current career, this should be simple. You just have to learn the PoE stuff which is pretty simple.
Very true. I never just mount a camera and put it online. Instead I use a spotter camera (that's what I call it) on a pole and place it in f=the genral area at diffent height, etc., whle either recording and/or viewing it from my netbook (now using my iPad). After finding the best view, I mount it. As for the netowrk, HA HA HA, big issues especially when running multiple mega pixel cameras. Got to make sure your PC, monitoring software on the PC and network can handle the load. For many months I am running at 95 to 98% CPU on a 3 Ghz dual core intel and monitoring 9 mega pixel cameras. Oh, to make matter worse, if you plan to monitor your video over the internet, manke sure you got enough bandwidth for the resolution you wish to view... Yeah, as Bullwinkle stated, it is MUCH more than buying cameras, configuring them and throwing them into action.

John
New Jersey
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyC wrote:
buellwinkle wrote:
Very true. I never just mount a camera and put it online. Instead I use a spotter camera (that's what I call it) on a pole and place it in f=the genral area at diffent height, etc., whle either recording and/or viewing it from my netbook (now using my iPad). After finding the best view, I mount it. As for the netowrk, HA HA HA, big issues especially when running multiple mega pixel cameras. Got to make sure your PC, monitoring software on the PC and network can handle the load. For many months I am running at 95 to 98% CPU on a 3 Ghz dual core intel and monitoring 9 mega pixel cameras. Oh, to make matter worse, if you plan to monitor your video over the internet, manke sure you got enough bandwidth for the resolution you wish to view... Yeah, as Bullwinkle stated, it is MUCH more than buying cameras, configuring them and throwing them into action.

John
New Jersey

I see my typing skills are improving. I only mispelled a dozen or so words in my last response.

John
New Jersey
thewireguys
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ spammer

I would strongly recommend getting demos from different manufactures and test them in your office. Don't just go off manufactures spec. Also look at your target market and match your products to them.

Also no offence to anyone on this forum but I find this one to be geared to the do it yourselfers not the profession market. Take a look around the web and you can find sites with a lot more info geared towards professional installers and equipment.
VideoIQ Partner
videofairy
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worth to buy books, like "Digital Video Surveillance & Security” of Antony Caputo or or CCTV of Vlado Domjanovsky.

In addition I would recommend to visit special training courses . Companies like Axis, Mobotix, ACTI e.t.c. offer 1 or 2 day trainings to understand differences between cameras.

In addition to get the idea how to place cameras and how to choose right lenses you can play with demo version of jvsg cctv design tool. To practice you can save a site plan from Google Earth, import this site plan to the tool above, add 5-10 cameras, and try to make camera layouting. This helps to understand how focal lens, sensor formats affect the camera field of view.

Using the tool above you can play with bandwidth and storage calculations to get the idea how many days of footage can be stored on one 1GB hard drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed