IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for suggestions/solutions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
pfh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Looking for suggestions/solutions. Reply with quote

I'm looking and researching a method of monitoring an outdoor 500 gal. gas tank and pump at our golf maint. faciltiy. The thinking is to setup a remote hidden camera and record activity on an existing office computer.

Direct line of site from office to camera location is not available. And the building is metal framed and metal exterior. Distance from a camera mounting point to office is about 100 feet and then another 50 feet to gas pump. I suppose a wired solution could be installed but then it would involve more work and more chance of it being noticed by employees.

Our office currently has a LAN that is networked into the clubhouse WAN with a long range 1.0 Gbps wireless antenna.(signal travels about 1000 feet) This network is maintained by an outsourced network company and they are reluctant to add "extra" devices. At one point we were thinking to use existing antenna but more discussions with our network contractor are needed and are continuing.

I suppose my real intent here is to gather some information on IP cameras and intalls so I can enter into a discussion with our network contractor with some reasonable intelligence. IP camera seems to be the ideal solution rather than the cctv standard.

How much of a factor is a metal building in distrupting wireless bandwidth? I mean we have a building that tends to disrupt cell phone signal strength!!
Can I really expect to install a single camera and monitoring for ~$500?
Are PoE alterantives any good?
Outdoor day/night camera is preferred but could possibly be mounted inside non-heated area and then hole cut on the side of building for protection.

Anyone care to share their success stories?
ICUSecurity
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions/solutions. Reply with quote

pfh wrote:

How much of a factor is a metal building in distrupting wireless bandwidth? I mean we have a building that tends to disrupt cell phone signal strength!!

You wont get a signal through metal walls. 1 single pice of tinfoil can destroy a wireless network.
Quote:

You get what you pay for. You can put in a $100 cam, use free software if you want. But... Its not going to be very good...
Quote:

Sure.. If your system isnt wireless.... Or outside. You cant POE 24VAC, and power supplies for outdoor units are 24VAC.
Quote:

Outdoor day/night camera is preferred but could possibly be mounted inside non-heated area and then hole cut on the side of building for protection.

By hiding a camera you remove its 40% deterrance rate. That is never a good idea. Day/Night cameras with IR would need a large hole cut.

Sounds to me like your best bet is to run back a pice of siemise cable and run an analog system if you want to stay in that price range...
Maui Custom Surveillance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions/solutions. Reply with quote

pfh wrote:
I'm looking and researching a method of monitoring an outdoor 500 gal. gas tank and pump at our golf maint. faciltiy. The thinking is to setup a remote hidden camera and record activity on an existing office computer.

Direct line of site from office to camera location is not available. And the building is metal framed and metal exterior. Distance from a camera mounting point to office is about 100 feet and then another 50 feet to gas pump. I suppose a wired solution could be installed but then it would involve more work and more chance of it being noticed by employees.

Our office currently has a LAN that is networked into the clubhouse WAN with a long range 1.0 Gbps wireless antenna.(signal travels about 1000 feet) This network is maintained by an outsourced network company and they are reluctant to add "extra" devices. At one point we were thinking to use existing antenna but more discussions with our network contractor are needed and are continuing.

I suppose my real intent here is to gather some information on IP cameras and intalls so I can enter into a discussion with our network contractor with some reasonable intelligence. IP camera seems to be the ideal solution rather than the cctv standard.

Anyone care to share their success stories?

I generally talk people out of hidden cameras, there aren't any small hidden type IP cameras available anyways, generally spy cameras and such are analog. Besides, everyone discovers a hidden camera eventually, so the extra time and money to install them is a waste, and an obvious camera is a deterrent.

If the distance between the office and camera placement is only 100 foot, and if the power source for the camera is running on the same electric meter as the office building without any intervening switches, there's a good chance you could use a home plug adapter to create a network between the camera and office building. You'll need 2 adapters that cost about $50 each, lots cheaper than a wireless solution and more reliable.
pfh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, in the other post too. Appreciate the insight. Thank God there is a forum like this.

My research and education continues! Thanks Wes.

Looks like PoE is an option since the outlets for office and other half of building are on the same breaker box. USB connection too? Hmm. Software encoding though. What's nice is remote viewing but not that nesc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it would appear that an anolog system to PC would require a capture card of some kind and you're better off with a dedicated PC so as not to tie up resources on a normal office client PC. My vhs to dvd transfers at home have taught me that video encoding and recording is certainly resource intensive and not without conflicts. I've got a Plextor ConvertX USB encoding device that does MPEG4, Divx, and MPEG2 (way too big file size). Obviously reliability is a priority here. Oh my, so many factors to consider.
ICUSecurity
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are a little confused about what PoE is. Power-Over-Ethernet allows you to power a device through your ethernet cable. For example we build a PoE injector for our antennas. This way all you have to do is run 1 wire to your antenna, (The ethernet) and it will recieve both signal and power over the same cable..

The other solution is Ethernet Over <insert crazy item here, up to and including gass lines) where you have the data signal somehow travel over your <insert again here>

-Chris
Maui Custom Surveillance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfh wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, in the other post too. Appreciate the insight. Thank God there is a forum like this.

My research and education continues! Thanks Wes.

Looks like PoE is an option since the outlets for office and other half of building are on the same breaker box. USB connection too? Hmm. Software encoding though. What's nice is remote viewing but not that nesc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it would appear that an anolog system to PC would require a capture card of some kind and you're better off with a dedicated PC so as not to tie up resources on a normal office client PC. My vhs to dvd transfers at home have taught me that video encoding and recording is certainly resource intensive and not without conflicts. I've got a Plextor ConvertX USB encoding device that does MPEG4, Divx, and MPEG2 (way too big file size). Obviously reliability is a priority here. Oh my, so many factors to consider.

PoE will not work with a home plug adapter, because there is no category five wire. Asoka adapters and routers allow you to run a network over the power lines in your home or office, and the network is not limited to ethernets 328 foot limitations, but is good for 1000 foot.

I'd rather run ethernet, but in some retrofit installations, running ethernet can be expensive, so the home plug standard is sometimes an attractive option.

I wouldn't consider the encoding device you have, because then you would need to use a low resolution analog camera, and then archiving the image becomes a whole another issue.

The camera and archiving depends on what you have budgeted for this project?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed